Updated: May 8, 2020
- The April union meeting has been canceled.
- For now, all upcoming union events and classes have been cancelled or postponed until further notice. Apprentices should have received notice about arrangements for their classes. Apprentices should monitor their email. All Madison College facilities will remain closed until May 15.
- Exception: the Local 159 Executive Board meeting cannot be cancelled (per the International Office), and will be held by conference call.
- Apprenticeship applications are not being taken, for now.
- Negotiations will continue for all contracts. There will be Inside talks next week. VDV talks have been scheduled.
- The WEEBF office will be open for phone calls, but not for walk-in visitors, 608.276.9111.
- Watch for ongoing updates on the Local 159 website and Facebook page.
As we mentioned, as the COVID-19 situation evolves, we have been trying to get information from the contractors about worker health and safety on job sites. We also continue to field questions from members.
Make sure you read the IBEW/NECA National Disease Emergency Response Agreement, posted last night. http://www.ibew.org/media-center/Articles/20Daily/2003/200317_IBEW_NECA_Sign
Please see the last two bullet points in that document:
… Read more... “March 19th 2020 – COVID-19 Update”
The employer shall not contest any unemployment claims filed by employees temporarily furloughed as a result of a restricted or closed jobsite due to the coronavirus or similar disease, or who have refused to be present at the jobsite out of a genuine belief that being present would place them in imminent danger of contracting coronavirus, or who have been quarantined, or advised to self-quarantine, due to possible exposure to coronavirus; and
Such employees shall be permitted to return to their original positions with their employer upon the resumption of work on the jobsite, and/or their ability to return, without the need of the referral process, and irrespective of whether such employees have signed their local union’s out-of-work list.
IBEW 159 Members,
The uncertainty surrounding the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has been deeply unsettling to our industry and country. IBEW 159 along with Pro Union Consulting has decided to cancel contracting course scheduled March26-28, 2020. IBEW 159 and Pro Union Consulting has tentatively rescheduled course for August 20-22, 2020. IBEW 159 is still looking forward to providing our members with the necessary resources to expand our industry into the commercial, mixed-use/residential market. If you have any questions, please contact me.
Damon Glenn ~ 608-255-2989
We met with the contractors today and expressed concerns about what is happening, or may potentially happen, on job sites. We didn’t get many answers. There are still many unknowns. We are trying to find out all we can. It is in everyone’s interest to keep every worker safe.
This afternoon, the International Office came out with the NECA/IBEW National Disease Emergency Response Agreement. Please read it. http://www.ibew.org/media-center/Articles/20Daily/2003/200317_IBEW_NECA_Sign